INDEPENDENCE MONUMENT, PHNOM PENH, CAMBODIA

January 18, 2017

During our last day's visit at Cambodia. We managed to see the Independence Monument of Cambodia from a distance. The monument was not opened for visitors to visit so we didn't stop by to take photos. It's best to view it at night because the monument will be illuminated by red, blue and white floodlights, the colours of the Cambodian flag. The monument was located in the heart of the capital, Phnom Penh. When the van that I took from Siem Reap passed by this monument, I knew that I already reached Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia. This monument looked like the Patuxai Victory Monument in Vientiane, Laos. Both of the monuments were built with the same purpose. Patuxai was dedicated to those who fought in the struggle for independence from France. The Independence Monument at Phnom Penh was built to celebrate the independence from the French in 1953. From my understanding, these monuments serve the same purpose but were built with different styles. 

This 20-meter high monument was designed by a Cambodian architect. It's shaped in the form of a lotus. We can also see many lotus shaped buildings at Angkor and other Khmer historical sites. This significant landmark of Cambodia was built in the middle of a roundabout so you have be careful if you want to take photos here. I have to tell you that the traffic at Cambodia was really scary. It made me feel like I was a kid again because I felt like I did not know how to cross the road. The vehicles never stopped because there were no traffic lights at most of the places even though it's a capital city. Most of the time I just pulled my friend's sleeve when I wanted to cross the roads at Cambodia. This monument was very near to the Royal Palace too. Don't miss out this historical landmark if you're at Cambodia.





Let's hi 5 the world

You Might Also Like

0 comments